Katrina Murphy founded the consulting firm, Katrina Murphy Industrial Relations Pty Ltd in 2006. Her mission was to provide a unique, personalized service in reliable, innovative and practical employee relations and human resources solutions, strategies, training and business and government lobbying.
KMIR is a highly successful sole practitioner firm, working for over thirty national clients in the recruitment, retail, wholesale, technology, not-for-profit, security, business services and energy industries in Australia, UK and New Zealand.
Prior to KMIR, Katrina was founder and Managing Director of Kamcorp Pty Ltd from 1994 to 2006.
Katrina developed Kamcorp from a small Melbourne based industrial relations consulting firm to a national firm servicing over forty major clients in a wide range of industries including retail, recruitment, health services, not-for-profit, corporate services, energy and utilities, manufacturing, wholesale and logistics.
With 19 years senior consulting and successful business experience as a Managing Director of two national consulting firms, Katrina brings to her clients a wealth of experience in:
- Strategic industrial relations and human resources planning
- Workplace Agreements and contracts negotiation and drafting
- Dispute resolution and mediation
- Policy and procedure development
- Conciliation and conflict intervention
- Performance appraisal/management systems
- EEO compliance, investigations, training, advocacy
- Unfair and unlawful dismissal negotiations and representation
- Management training
- Political lobbying and Government submissions
- Mediation and conflict resolution for business partnerships
- Boards and management teams
- Fair Work Commision advocacy
Katrina’s consulting experience is complemented by six years’ senior management experience in industry, including:
- National Assistant Manager Industrial Relations for CSIRO in the ACT, 1987 – 1988
- Industrial Relations Manager for ACT Electricity and Water where she undertook one of the first comprehensive skills review and classification restructures in Australia, 1988 – 1990
- Manager Personnel for BTR Nylex at Laminex Industries in Melbourne, 1990 – 1992
- Senior Workplace Change and Enterprise Bargaining Consultant to a wide variety of industries at the Victorian Employers Chamber of Commerce and Industry (VECCI) in 1992
- Manager of the Labour Relations Division of the consulting firm, Hallis in Melbourne, 1992 – 1994.
Katrina has also tutored in Government at the University of Queensland.
Katrina has a Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Degree in Political Science and Economics from the University of Queensland and has undertaken Graduate Law studies at ANU and Melbourne University.
Katrina has been invited to provide industrial relations commentary for ABC Radio Canberra, ABC Regional Radio Victoria, The Age and Herald Sun newspapers and SBS World News.
Katrina has also been involved in political lobbying for clients on both a State and Federal level.
Katrina is a popular public speaker, having conducted many lectures and seminars for many industry clients, including CILTA, on topical industrial relations issues.